If you have some questions about Deepen Retreats, we have some answers.Spiritual disciplines are a means to prevent everything in your life from being filled up. It means somewhere you’re not occupied and you’re certainly not preoccupied. It means to create that space in which something can happen that you hadn’t planned… Click To Tweet
When I explain what occurs on a Deepen Retreat, I get a lot of head-tilting, like when you talk to your dog and she tips her head to one side as if she is saying, “What?” A Deepen Retreat is a very different kind of experience. Here’s what people often ask me.
- “24 hours of silence. . . . Really?” Really. For a few moments it feels awkward but, everyone else on the retreat is doing silence as well. I found the meals to be the most intimidating times, but I also know the purpose, so it is tolerable. Those on the retreat have actually come to experience a long time of silence. I was worried that it was too difficult but the men on the last retreat said they could have used more silence, not less. Remember, we also spend the balance of the retreat talking and processing in small groups. We attempt both silence and community.
- But what about my phone? We don’t make anyone put their phones away, but we strongly encourage it. Our phones are the most intrusive piece of technology we own. The buzzes and ringtones literally control our lives. So, make it easy on yourself at the retreat. Tell all your frequently contacted people you are on a silent retreat and ask them not to text or call you during the time. You can also put your phone in your car, turned off. If you worry that you will get an emergency phone call, we can provide a phone number for such messages.
- I am self-conscious about praying in public. Do I have to pray out loud? No one is required to pray out loud.
- I am afraid I will get bored. What if I do? You might. But, getting bored may indicate how badly you need to be away from talking and interruptions. Don’t worry. We will be guiding your silence and quiet times.
- How do I learn anything with no talking going on? Our teaching sessions continue through the silent parts of the retreat, but beyond that, there is no talking for twenty-four hours. You will see how much more you can learn when there are no distractions.
- What if I get intimidated in small groups? I can’t promise you an intimidation-free retreat, but I have never seen anyone feel intimidated in our small group times. I think you will discover that everyone on this retreat is having a similar experience in a different kind of retreat. Everyone is willing and eager to support and encourage each other.
- What will we study? We give each participant a little booklet to guide your quiet times and help you develop a plan for living a deeper life with the Lord. You will also need to bring a copy of the Spiritual Disciplines Handbook by Adele Ahlberg Calhoun. Be sure to search for this book by the ISBN 978-0-8308-4605-4 to get the right edition. Do not get the digital version! This book has interactive sections you will need to complete at the retreat. You will also need your everyday Bible.
- Will I get any rest on this retreat? Yes! A key component is slowing down to hear from God. You need rest to do that. We have no late-night activities.
- Can I bring a friend? Invite others to attend. You will have lots of time to enjoy old friends and make new friends.
- What do I bring with me? Check out our sites at campsiloam.com. Click on “retreats” at the top of the page. Then select either the men’s retreat or the women’s retreat. If you have further questions, contact the helpful people at Camp Siloam.
- What if I am late? Try not to be late. You will miss valuable information. But, if something comes up, come on. We will catch you up.
- Who are the instructors? For the men’s retreat, I teach it. I have been teaching in churches for about 45 years and I have taught at the university and seminary level for more than 20 years. My passions include Bible study, spiritual disciplines, spiritual formation, and worldviews. I like expressing these concepts so even children can understand them. Our women’s retreat teacher is Tonya Bolton. Tonya is the registrar at Williams Baptist University. She is the founder and leader of Moms & More, a ministry to women. She teaches women frequently. The content of both retreats is basically the same except that we adapt the content to the specific interests of men and women.
- Will I get anything out of this retreat? We have tried to orchestra your time on this retreat, so you will get a lot out of it. However, this one is up to you.
Here is the information about our retreats:
Deepen Men’s Retreat
When: 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 16th through 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 18th
Cost: Before March 1st: $149 After March 1st: $169 Payment is required at registration. If you cancel, all but $50 is refundable ($70 if you opted for a family cabin).
Registration Deadline: Monday, March 12th
Online Registration Link: https://www.campsiloam.com/Archive/2018/Deepen/?Event=Men
Deepen Women’s Retreat
When: 5:00 p.m. on Friday, March 23rd through 11:00 a.m. on Sunday, March 25th
Cost: Before March 8th: $149 After March 8th: $169 Payment is required at registration. If you cancel, all but $50 is refundable ($70 if you opted for a family cabin).
Registration Deadline: Monday, March 19th
Online Registration Link: https://www.campsiloam.com/Archive/2018/Deepen/?Event=Women
Scripture: Read Mark 6:31 (NIV): Then, because so many people were coming and going that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them, “Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.” Consider that Jesus might be inviting you to come away with Him, so He can speak to you.
Dig Deeper: Read 6 Benefits of a Silent Retreat with God by Debbie Przybylski.
Now It’s Your Turn: What questions remain about Deepen Retreats? Please share your ideas so we can all grow together.
Disclosure of Material Connection: Some of the links in the post above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.